15/07/2008

Gill





Looking over some war time posters I found some from the ‘Dig for Victory’ campaign, which encouraged the population to turn their gardens or whatever land you had available over to allotments and grow food for you and your family. The font used on these posters is big, bold and uncomplicated. I think this font would work well on the seed packets as it has such a strong, important history with allotments and gardening. I wasn’t able what font this is, but it’s possibly Gill sans, if not then it’s the closest match I was able to find. This was designed around the time of the campaign by an English designer called Eric Gill, which makes it more probable this was the font used.
So I’m going to use this as my main font on the seed packets and throughout the rest of the project to keep continuity and that ‘brand’ feeling.

No comments: