04/07/2008

A Trip Out

I visited Sefton Park Allotments the other day for the first time, I’m interested to see other allotments and if they differ from each other in any way.

To be honest I wasn’t expecting to find much of a difference between the two, maybe just the size difference as Sefton Park is a lot bigger than Rob Lane (I checked Google Earth).

The first thing I noticed was how free and wild the allotment seemed; there wasn’t much fencing and plots just butt up to each other without barriers. I couldn’t make head nor tale of them. The path ways were grassy, winding and not definitive; you could be walking along when you realise you’re in the centre of someones plot.
The rules didn’t seem as strict as Rob Lane; it felt more relaxed, more natural. There’s so much more greenery, lots of trees around and all sorts of plants and bushes. The plots range from the traditional to kitchen gardens and little hideaway dens to your average house garden. There’s such diversity, it seems you have more control over the plots at Sefton Park.

Although I wasn't there a considerable length of time, I felt more as if I were encroaching on people's hobbies, the people I came across were less forthcoming about their plots, and I didn't feel as welcomed as I did at rob lane. Although on reflection this is a much bigger allotment and it’s not viable for everyone to know each other, so another stranger isn’t going to make waves, also I don’t think me flailing my camera around helped. (They probably thought I was from the counsil hehe.)









No comments: